PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What I dont like of the Bus I.
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2008, 05:33
sudden Winds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok...the only thing I really dislike about the A340 is those 4 hair dryers itīs got underneath the wings that make me feel ****ty every time I takeoff.
I understand thatīs a personal thing, but from a performance standpoint I īd like to have some more margin in case of windshear, etc... Now I am conscious that the flight control laws make it a very safe plane against CFIT and windshear scnarios, but once u reach CL MAX (high drag too) if you canīt overcome the windshear youīre going down...ok, unstalled...but down.

Also, lately Iīve discovered that the A/THR system sometimes takes a while to respond to wind gusts...come on now...donīt think I am forgetting this Ground speed mini thing....but sometimes the hw component is insignificant to generate a GS mini intervention, or sometimes u receive tail gusts...the non-moving thrust levers are uncomfortable to override, especially because if you do it at or below 100 feet A/THR disconnection will occur just at the same time as you enter the flare (direct) law portion of the flight..which means the a/c will pitch in response to power (close to the ground, large a/c...see where I am getting?). For that reason Iīve started to disconnect A/THR if by 500 ft wind gusts justify it, according to the judgement Iīve just explained.

The other thing I really hate is that stupid "retard" call out at 20 feet (10 ft for autoland)...Mr John Airbus, we know we have to retard the thrust levers, thank u..we ainīt that stoopid. It just bothers me because I like to hear the RA call outs as I look at the middle of the rwy to achieve a smooth centered landing.

Now besides these 3 things the rest is pure gold. The FCU, MCDU, ECAM, and flight control laws are excellent.

Now Hetfield...youīre kidding right?....

Regards,
SW.

PS: OHH and the sliding TABLE !!!!!!!
PS2: Very good post Javelin
PS3: I didnīt really understand that Loop thing Strongresolve talks about. If u wanna fly constant mach u just do so by flying selected...Boeing lets u do it on the FMC too, Airbus doesnīt (CI isnīt exactly that) so what?? u just fly selected. Stong resolve, read Javelin post. He īs got a point. I am not discrediting your post. I appreciate your contribution, but I strongly agree with Javelin in that this machine is different. Rgds...