PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age Discrimination: Fighting the CAA! (+ update)
Old 18th Mar 2008, 19:11
DennisK

Location: Kings Caple, Ross-on-Wye.orPiccots End. Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Age discrimination.

Hallo Doc,

The Tribunal hearing ran to nine working days and I imagine the full transcript might run to a hundred pages minimum. You'll know better than me but based on other Court cases, I believe the transcript can be purchased, but on a High Court hearing I was involved in a while ago, the figure was several hundred pouns.

I have produced and am attaching a precis that is the basis of the article I am writing for Loop, an aviation newspaper. (April Issue) There'll be a ton of facts & figs that might help your legal studies.

Incidentally, a few accident figures became available at the hearing and I have since researched these a little further.

The CAA list the figures for a twenty year period from 1987 to 2006. In that time a total of 503 reportable accidents were recorded. Of those - 21 were where the Captain was over 59. ie some 4.17%.

Again from CAA published figures. In 2005 there was a grand total of 3,796 helicopter licenced pilots on the CAA database. 322 of these were over 59! ie 8.48%.

So it appears that while the over 60s make up 8.48% of the total pilot force, they are involved in only 4.17% of accidents. (only one of which was fatal)

One might argue that a passenger is 50% less likely to be involved in an accident when flown by one of the old boys!

I haven't yet researched the figures for flying hours, but my experience tells me that the bulk of private pilots fly less than 100 hours per year, whereas professional pilots will normally fly four or five times that amount.

I expect that my further research will reveal that a higher percentage of the older pilots hold professional licences and fly more. But I won't jump to any immediate conclusions. Just hope the CAA will take note and perhaps re-examine their 'age differences' stance.

It may show that unlike fixed wing, perhaps the experience of older pilots is more relevent in rotary flying.

I'll post the better researched figures when I am finished.

Uncle Ian, have a super break and keep off the fags! Booze allowed.

Best wishes to all,

Dennis Kenyon.