PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spin recovery using power
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2002, 04:25
John Farley

Do a Hover - it avoids G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi folks. .. .Somebody just sent me Alan Cassidy’s original article. Sorry to come so late to the party.. .. .I thought it very well written, very well argued and since I have no experience on the aeroplanes Alan was writing about I can only say well done – he convinced me there has to be a case to answer. I shall be interested to see how the experienced guys in these sorts of aircraft respond. . .. .My only thoughts of caution are that inexperienced pilots with little or no formal (and recent) spin training who are unlucky enough to find themselves unexpectedly in what they think is a spin, are actually very poorly placed to call to mind any recovery actions, let alone apply them properly. . .. .Because of that I feel that if their aircraft does not recover promptly then the most likely reason is that they had not taken the standard recovery properly – hence the emphasis to check it again rather than try other things. . .. .Experienced pilots may well use their experience to try all sorts of things when up against a problem (and I am not only thinking spinning here) What Michael Schumacher might do to sort out a family car in the wet is one thing but would you brief your Aunty to try the same? The most you can reasonably hope for is that she remembers you told her to push very hard on the brake to invoke the ABS and also winds the wheel instinctively. But don’t be surprised if she just hits the clutch and screams.. .. .Great article Alan