PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 5
Thread: Aer Lingus - 5
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2008, 19:07
akerosid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some of our EI pilots could give more accurate answers, but my understanding is that PVG/PEK would be within range of a 332 and could use DUB's existing runway, while SE Asian airports, including HKG, would not be.

I agree strongly that HKG would be the optimum hub, all other things being equal; it is the most ideally and centrally located hub of them all.

On the subject of the runway, there is a consultation process currently under way, launched by the Dept of Transport, called "Sustainable Transport". There is a section on air cargo ... it occurred to me that it might be a useful way to draw attention to the runway issue, in that as more and more long haul routes are offered from DUB, more and more departures from 10/28 will be at full/TOGA power, with little opportunity to derate; a longer runway might alleviate that; there is, I think, a strong environmental argument in that obviously, facilitating derated takeoffs is a good idea.

My understanding (not necessarily correct!) is that the new runway won't be started until T2 is open, so it could well be 2013-14 before it's open, which means another six years with a limited runway.