PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blink
Thread: Blink
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2008, 17:52
pilotbear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember when Stelios dreamed up Easyjet, everybody in this industry laughed and said no way would it work, no one wanted to fly cheap with no catering or M&S sandwiches. He had to get crews from abroad as no one had faith in it and now look at it. How many 'low cost' operators use this model now and are starting up all over the world. I used to fly as pax on easyjet when it first started from Luton and I did wonder sometimes if the aircraft was going to make it to the destination
It just requires a change of mind set by the 'stick in the mud' old hands who think they are special because they fly a little jet instead of a big one.
A London Cabby is the same as a RR Chauffeur..a competent professional driver.
You don't need new state of the art aircraft as long as they are safe. You need pilots that can think outside the box and want to make it work. It seems to me that too many self-centred people with no vision and big ego's get involved and just drag things down.
The 'private' jet concept is over blown, it is just an airborne taxi.
The goal is get the pax from A to B. The difficulty lies in the logistics of A/C positioning and the algorithms needed to achieve it.
Having said that, you need to value the people that make it work and that is where operators go wrong. If people feel valued, if they look forward to going to work then they work harder for less. It never ceases to amaze me how 'successful' businessmen/women cannot grasp this concept.
I have worked for such people and it is just frustrating as hell.
Good luck Blink, choose the workforce carefully look after them and the returns will be there.