PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wings Aviation Airplane Missing!
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2008, 16:11
DRPAM007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infomation management and the lack of Synergy..

The recent event (yet to verified as fatal ) has further highlighted the need for total radar coverage of the Nigerian airspace and regular and accurate weather reports and forecasts.
The minister claimed the wreckage has been located, followed four hours later by the NCAA refuting such claims
Apparently there is a conflict or failure in the information management process between the Nigeria Civil aviation authority (NCAA), the ministry of aviation and the air accident investigation branch. We have not yet gotten over the embarrassment caused by similar premature and erroneous public statements that preceded the Bellview accident of 2005. We had hoped to learn from the event, but apparently that was too much to hope for.
The normal scenario is that there should be co-ordinated communication protocols established between these offices and some sort of verification obtained before going to press.
Against logic, some of us have to hope the best for crew of the still missing aircraft.
Co-incidently, last week the Nigerian AIB led by Engr. Oduselu and Capt Usman met with Paul Dike ( Chief of Air staff ) and pledged joint co-operation in search, rescue and accident investigation. I have met all three on various occasions and I think Paul is a man of his words. Let's hope it's not all going to be just hot air and I hope the framework involves NEMA as well.
Unfortunately it takes a sad tragedy like this to put to test claims of the industry managers on their level of preparedness to meet the challenges of ensuring safety, and in the sad event of an accident, their ability to carry out prompt and efficient search, rescue and conclusive constructive investigations.

Last edited by DRPAM007; 25th Mar 2008 at 14:36.