PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fear of blood tests.
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2000, 05:18
Mango

Cool

MISSED SLOT- I understand how you feel. I lived in the tropics for 18 years. Great as it was, there was the need for injections every 6 months against nasty desieses. As a little squid I really enjoyed getting jabbed but as I grew older I started to despise the whole ordeal. Now, I dont like needles at all. I have had some blood test used by needles that look like buckets attached to nails. There is nothing greater than looking at your own warm dark blood gushing into the chaimber followed be the slow loss of vision and a sence of detachment from the world.

Its hard to close your eyes, clutch your fist, count numbers, think of sexy girls (I'm a guy), wiggle your toes ext ext ext. Its only human to take a peek now and again as you go through the whole process. As you mentioned yourself...its all in the mind. There really is no pain its just uncomfortable. Compare needles with falling off your mountainbike or when the girl you loved dumps you for the butcher boy? I think thats pain (there are more examples but I think you get the picture). So what do you do??? Well, try and think about nothing or at least clear your mind. Detach yourself like you would if you were to ignore somebody, dont fight it but go with the flow (resistance creates stress). If all fails, ask for or take a thermos of hot sweet tea. Sipping tea after a injection might stop you from passing out.

Mango