PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age Discrimination: Fighting the CAA! (+ update)
Old 16th Mar 2008, 21:55
DennisK

Location: Kings Caple, Ross-on-Wye.orPiccots End. Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reply to Ken Wells.

Yes Ken, the position of the other 'fare paying passenger' drivers is very much an associated consideration.

A PSV vehicle with 44 pax is capable of a high level of fatalities, and of course a train driver even more. Then we have taxis and lorry drivers who so far have all escaped the over 60 age discrimination 'differences' applied by the CAA to pilots.

I am investigated the requirements for those occupations as I write, but I understand taxi and PSV drivers have their first medical at either 65 or 70 and then have one every 3/4 years. I'll have the correct numbers shortly.

My last London cabbie told me that there is one of his brethren still driving at 92! It seems that the majority view is ... hold the requisite medical and continue to work.

The CAA's view is that the standard medical is not reliable enough, hence my previous note on the more stringent medicals possible and the 1000 numbers sampling on the earlier post.

Thanks to all,

DRK