PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EYES What to do?
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2001, 08:27
wobble-head

manoman, I am no expert but hopefully this info may help:

Although I was diagnosed slightly short-sighted I joined the RN at the age of 19 and just scraped through the sight test, within 9 months however I realised I couldn't read the blackboard from the back of the class. Not wanting to go through another 6 months of basic training just to get kicked out for poor eyesight at a later date, I saw the doc at Dartmouth.

I was told no problem as once you had joined the services your eyesight only had to be correctable.

I was issued with specs that I wore throughout my training and career. Initialy I only wore them flying, then driving and finally all the time.

My eyesight did drop down sharply at about the age of 25 and I currently wear contacts with the prescription of -1.5. I AM a specky tw*t!

I currently fly commercially and at my last medical the company doc did mention something about a minimum standard of uncorrected vision proposed under JAR OPS. This was something being driven by the French funny old thing.

In your case I don't think you have anything to worry about as long as your sight is correctable. I don't think you have to show a history of stabilised sight and I would recommend you wear specs should you need them, again professional advice should be sought.

You have probably already wisely discounted surgery as it is still relatively early days in that field and who knows what the long term effects are.

Sorry if that was a bit long winded but good luck anyway!