PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaria?
Thread: Malaria?
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2001, 04:15
drop bags bar

I spent four years throughout Tropical Africa.... Got Malaria ONCE, one of the other guys I was flying with got it nine times in a year all in all we all had it at least once but the average seemed to be twice. Few of us took anti-malarial drugs but we were extreamly careful how our skin was exposed day or night. I know many of you are going to say this was foolish but we debated this subject long and hard ... We were doing at least one malaria medivac per week and most of us had lost medivacs inflight at some point so we knew the reality of this killer. All I have to say is one word HELLFAN you need a prescription but if you know your doc well enough ask him for it tell him it's your only chance. I carried the drug in my flight bag for years while flying in Africa and I would frequently hand out my stash to another pilot who'd come down with malaria that I'd meet at some point during a trip. Just my advice but you gotta be brave I'm not sure what is worse the way the drug makes you feel or the Malaria.... You must take this at the first sign of Malaria then PLEASE tell somebody that you've taken it and that the drug itself can be lethal to monitor your progress. (Be sensible read the contra indications you are supposed to have an ECG before taking Hellfan .... that's why I only ever gave it to fellow pilots)