PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Waivers and SODA
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2000, 04:13
Constable Clipcock

judy:

In answer to your questions....
I have read with interest the FAA system of waivers and sodas.
The acronym SODA denotes "Statement of Demonstrated Ability". I have one of these myself, which was issued back in 1984. Under the old requirements that were in effect back then, the FAA First-/Second-Class medicals both required an uncorrected distant visual acuity of 20/100 or better, correcatble to 20/20 or better; my uncorrected DVA was 20/200. We've never had a refraction limit in this country however. The uncorrected DVA rule was dropped in 1996, but I still have to present my original SODA on every medical exam — simply because of the fact that my records show I was issued one — despite the fact that my waiver was for a requirement that no longer exists!

I have a young son devastated by an eyesight problem.
Understood. I grew up never wanting to be anything except a military pilot. I was still able to enter into a military career that involved being out there on the "sharp end", but in a much different role (I became a paratrooper). Working towards a a position as a law-enforcement pilot now instead.

If he was able to be certified using this system can he get a reasonable flying job?
Yes.

Do any of the major US carriers recruit people with these waivers?
Yes. They're required by law to do so.

I can see how a major US carrier would accept this to keep a very experienced captain employed, but would they accept a new joining first officer with a wiaver?
See above remark.

I just wonder if this is a system which allows certification , but the unfortunate individual will find it very hard to forge a resonable career as a commercial pilot?
Vision is not an issue in the US, as long as you can tell red from green and are correctable to 20/20.