PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Strange flight
Thread: Strange flight
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2008, 01:57
BeechNut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flew myself today in similar weather on the other side of the pond. Short 20 min. hop to another field where the fuel is $0.13 per liter cheaper, myself in my Sundowner, and two friends, one in an A36 Bonanza and the other in a C-150 (he's actually the highest time pilot among us, 1000+ hours, multi-IFR, CPL, and taildragger experience, he also owns a PA-16). Snow and rain showers. Oddly, a temperature inversion had a fog near the deck and below us, as well as clouds above. Vis was so-so, maybe 3 miles tops, but legal. Temp. was near -3C at the destination field, but 0 at 2000 ft, and at our home field. Odd such a change in weather in about 20 n.m. We got the fuel ($200 for 131 liters in my Sundowner), and headed back before the weather closed in. Very little wind on the ground, air smooth as silk, 122 knots GS going and about 99 kts coming home. Thanks to the nearly calm winds, the landings were both greasers.

It sometimes is actually more fun in this kind of weather. Fewer planes in the air, smooth conditions, and just a bit of challenge. The local school had their 172 in the air but the renter was forbidden from leaving the circuit. That's one reason why I eventually bought my own plane.