PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger Airways eyes Tasman route & set up a pilot training scheme
Old 15th Mar 2008, 22:50
Dunnybudgee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Maybe missing the difference?

IMHO comparing Fruudum R (sorry - baaaaaaa), with Tiger is apples and oranges.

Freedom had to survive with Hamilton as its hub which was IMHO always just plain stupid. Remember why? Its sole purpose was, in the views of many, to predate Kiwi Air out of the market. It was considered so obvious that an NZ PM of the time even threatened to prosecute Air NZ if they shut down Freedom, if and when Kiwi Air failed...

I imagine Tiger will only make the occassional visits to whatever regional airports it thinks are viable.

2 things to remember;

Firstly; population distribution in the North Island has a huge blob centred around the Northern Waikato, and both Hamilton and Tauranga (already has customs / immigration at the sea port and growing very fast) lengthened their runways - they are now A320 capable. So its not so much a case of JAFAs driving down to NZHN, its more likely those from Waikato, BOP, King Country, Coromandel etc making a shortish drive to Mootown or maybe Tauranga (no fog probs).

2nd, it won't be based there... so its survival doens't depend on such a small market. I am guessing Tiger will just cherry pick as is expedient. Maybe MEL-CHC in the Ski season or PNorth / Dunedin to Gold Coast in the Kiwi winter for example...

One things for sure, those guys at Tiger are no muggins. Air NZ might be in for a fright. Although the costs of that outfit are already close to an LCC anyway!

Will be interesting to see. I hope Tiger start to offer some jobs to our woolly friends and force the NZ industry to pay real world wages. Just ask the Pac Blue guys, leaving in droves...

Last edited by Dunnybudgee; 17th Mar 2008 at 00:45.