PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Command Memorial (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2008, 18:02
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chugalug said: Totally agree with you about Robin Gibb, PP. His connection is as President of the Heritage Foundation, and as such presumably not personally related to Bomber Command. Nonetheless he says that it is morally repugnant that after more than 60 years no such memorial exists, he speaks on a video clip on the Telegraph site. A powerful message from a sector of our society that has not been historically associated with such sentiments. Similar messages from David Graham, the Chairman and Founder of the Heritage Foundation, MRAF Sir Michael Beetham GCB CBE DFC AFC (30 Ops on Lancs by the age of 21, later CAS), President Bomber Command Association and Sqn Ldr Tony Iveson DFC (75 Hours on 617 Sqn Ops against Tirpitz etc), Chairman Bomber Command Association. The last two venerable gentlemen (I hope they forgive me) both speak of their vivid memories as young men in those very dangerous times. Finally there is a contribution from someone who is an ex RAF Tornado navigator by the name of Nicol, anyone heard of him?
Seriously, a heavyweight and powerful launch to this campaign which I am sure will get tremendous support. This one has to succeed!
Great news.

Sport Relief got £20 million last night. Why can't we even give a fraction of that to recognise those who make events like Sport Relief possible? I am really busy right now Chuggers but if you prime me, wind me up and set me off in the right direction, I'm with you. In the meantime, Operation Bisto really works for me.

Can the board staff do something to spread the word too? Perhaps a gratis Prune signature to show support and raise awareness within the board good and the great, or perhaps sell one in return for a donation? The boys are just like those who we decorate and regularly lose overseas at the moment and they MUST be remembered properly. We owe them.