PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH Another Hard Landing A340-600 KIAH
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2008, 13:32
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Airbus FBW: the Trainer's Influence

Quotes from Strongresolve:
(1) I think that the main problem of the Airbus is that is not an airplane at all, is a machine that resembles an airplane that flyes. Exacly is a money making machine that flyes.
(2) The A/THR never will work like a conventional throttle, and if you use high power like TOGA, the plane will enter in GO AROUND mode in any condition, and you PNF need extra work to take this plane from this mode, and go back on CRUISE or CLB mode, performing unlogical actions in the MCDU, that in other aircraft are not necesary.
(3) But these are my opinions as pilot and TRI of the A320. I been only flying this thing two years, and I been always flying boeings and Mc Douglas.
[Unquote]

So far, we seem to know nothing about what may have happened to this A340-600 at Houston, so your post is OFF-TOPIC.

But, as you have chosen to cast a slur against the entire current generation of Airbuses - despite the fact that you claim to be a Training Instructor on A320 - I hope the Moderators will allow me to answer some of your accusations.

(1) Total rubbish. During a period of 21 years I flew many types of large aeroplane; Dakota to DC10, BAC 1-11 to A310, VC10 to B707. I then spent the next 14 years flying the A320 family, and I can assure you that it is very much an aeroplane, and - like all successful aircraft - has its good points and its not-so-good ones.

(2) If you find yourself needing as much thrust as TOGA; I've got news for you - it IS time you were "going around"...

(3) So, aged 32 years, you have perhaps spent 5 - 10 years flying fine airplanes like MD80 and B757? Maybe even the B727? [That one can bite.] Perhaps you came on to the A320 because your old favourite aeroplane was being phased out? I know the feeling very well. Is it possible that you believed all the scare stories about Airbus FBW - mainly from people who have never flown it - so you did not study your new aeroplane with as much enthusiasm as you did the last one?

If you want to put your criticisms about Airbus FBW aeroplanes in a constructive way, there are several Threads in the "Tech Log" section where we are waiting to hear from you.

But, for the time being, please ask yourself if you are the right person to be training a young and impressionable new generation to fly an aeroplane when you, the instructor-pilot they look up to, have so little confidence in what you describe as "this thing"?

Your negative attitude to the aircraft will inevitably make an impression on your pupils, and this is potentially dangerous. It does not sound like "strong resolve" to me.