PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - average hours to go solo
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2008, 11:44
Ken Wells

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was teaching I tried not to dwell on the time it took to send a student solo.

The most important aspect is that they are still enjoying flying. If they enjoy it, they learn faster.

We used to have the Air Traffic Control contract at RAF Woodvale, in those days you had to be able to send a student solo in 8 hours to keep the contract.
ATC students got 10 hours free flying as part of their training.

Some wanted to learn some did not.

I can remember on the first day getting a bunch of ATC studients to take the Airlaw exam, prior to the weeks flying training. We assumed that as ATC students they would have aleast studied this manditory exam prior to solo. The average mark was 38% well below the 75% pass rate.

Apathy was rife with this particular group and I went ballistic at the shear waste of flying resources based on non ATC students that had to skimp and safe just to progress their training. We sent two home on the first day and the rest bucked their ideas up and I am glad to say eventually went on to to complete their PPL.

So many factors contribute to going solo. Weather being a major factor. It might be fine for dual instruction but not fit for first solo. Also consistancy most students learn at weekends etc so will only do 4 or 6 hours a month due to finance and time. This group will take longer than those who fly every day on a consolidated course. The consolidated courses quote the fastest 0 to Solo time.

When I learnt finance was a problem I went solo in 20 hours. Over the years I have flown various types. Tail wheel solo was 2 hours. Helicopter solo was 8 hours. Experience helped alot.

So don't worry about how long it takes, you are still learning and hopefully still enjoying it.