PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SLF Question: Are We Safe?
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2008, 08:28
Avman

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There's no doubt in my mind that flying is safer than driving etc. However, as one in the industry, I too am just a little concerned at the level of experience in the F/D of some a/c today. There has in recent years been a fairly rapid expansion of the world's commercial aircraft population and pilots to crew them. We are presently in what I would consider a transition period where there are perhaps more inexperienced (total hours) pilots than average. It is not uncommon to see both Captain and F/O on an a/c to have relatively low hours of experience in their respective positions. Add the commercial pressures they are subjected to these days and it becomes a worrying scenario. Admitedly in the majority of cases this is compensated with good training and good company SOPs. There's no doubt flying is still by far the safest form of transport and safer than crossing the road, but I would say that it may just be a little less so than usual whilst the new generation of pilots acquire their hours. Does all this make sense? Probably not, but it's still too early for me