PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tail wheel Conversion,
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2008, 08:09
BroomstickPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taildragging

Hi Colin Dix,

I learned to fly in 1960 and got my PPL on Austers. In those days, flying club aircraft, we were all taildragger pilots. You had to be posh and belong to an ownership syndicate to fly a nosewheel. So there's no reason why you should not do your PPL on taildraggers and, as it requires more skill and care, you may well be a better handling pilot as a result.

However, as has been hinted above, in these days when nosewheel is the norm, the quality of tailwheel training can be, shall we say, variable. You need to be certain that the tailwheel instructor you choose really knows the job and has not just done a few hours post checkout.

To illustrate this, I would point out that in particular there are two ways of landing a taildragger, the 'three point' landing and the 'wheeler' or 'roller' landing. You need to be taught both. (Whether you actually use both afterwards is up to you depending on A/C type and prevailing conditions).

Nowadays, not every training establishment teaches the 'wheeler' landing, when in strong crosswind conditions this mode of landing reduces the risk of ground-loop.

I have even heard of one place where they purport to teach taildragger and don't teach crosswind landings at all.

I also suggest you may care to read 'The Compleat Taildragger Pilot' by H. S. Plourde, (available from all good pilot shops), which will give you an initial insight into the art of taildragging.

Choose carefully, and you will benefit from it.

Broomstick.