PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ramp Vehicle Safety Inspection Systems
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2008, 19:43
ramphawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snoop Ramp Vehicle Safety Inspection Systems

Hi All,

Having recently started driving airside after being a professional Large Goods Vehicle owner/driver for many years, I am quite concerned about the condition of many of the large vehicles I see driving about the apron areas.

Can anyone tell me if there is an airport industry standard for airside vehicle safety inspections, or what inspection regimes operating companies tend to use?

I was used to getting my 24 tonne tipper inspected in a workshop every 4 to 13 weeks, depending on the type of work I was doing with it. I needed to do this to keep my operators license. From what I can tell, there does not seem to be anything similar for airside vehicles.

I would have thought that aircraft tugs and the like would be regularly inspected, since they could do a lot of damage if things go wrong. Speaking to a few of the drivers, no one seems to know anything about their regular safety inspection regimes to maintain their vehicles roadworthiness. It may however be that I've just asked the wrong drivers.