PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - nausea and slight sickly feeling
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2008, 21:50
assymetricdrift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there,

Do not worry about it too much at all.

I had a PPL with around 100 hours before I even started my commercial training. However, when I started it out in America, I was feeling ill for the first few flights. In fact, sometimes it does come back to haunt me - during a flight test in America, I actually was ill due to the motions - but at the same time, with familiarity, it does reduce greatly.

I brought myself wristbands and also tried all sorts of ginger derivatives, and even chewed gum while flying in order to combat it. However, nothing can quite compare to (and I promise this does work, not only for me, but for many other guys too!), sucking on a polo. It worked amazingly well for me and another guy I know who used to get very ill during the unusual attitude training for the IR!. So give that a go. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. But I would certainly recommend the wristbands.

Above all else though, familiarity is the key. Going up in rough days, regularly, will really help you to get the feel of what the aircraft does and after a while, you'll be able to block out the senses quite well.

And never give up or feel down about it. I know many guys who have felt the same, and been through the same, all of whom now fly successfully for the airlines.