PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH A320 Rough Landing @ Hamburg
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2008, 21:10
Lemurian

Sun worshipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gonebutnot forgotten
Quote : My only quibble with the chap who originally wrote it was his introduction that said :
"Despite rumors, the Airbus uses conventional crosswind landing technique'"

It may be an unfortunate choice of words but he meant that , contrarily to existing wisdom - one could side-slip an Airbus.
After all, as pilots we just make do with the tools we are given ; for example, in order to maintain a steady turn on a big aircraft , we usually need to apply reverse aileron and to my knowlwdge, that has bothered nobody. Same technique -the sideslip -, different ways of achieving it.

Quote : "there is a substantial body of A320 pilots (including the fellow whose hand appears in the video some way back - I have sat jump seat behind other coffee stirrers like him - and all those who regularly hit the roll stops) who really don't know what their flight controls are doing, haven't thoroughly thought through how the machine works, and haven't been taught to do so. I find that rather worrying. "
I can undestand your feeling, and to a point -though it pains me - I could agree with you. Perhaps have we gone too far in trying to insist on how NOT different the 320 is ? It is also a matter of demography :The populations who got the gospel from Airbus are fewer and fewer, the generation of the airmanship-holding baby boomers is no longer and they are being replaced by younger generations with less and less time (constraints of growth, mainly) to pass on the good practices.
But that problem is not only an Airbus one but general.

Regards