PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blink
Thread: Blink
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2008, 20:49
G-SPOTs Lost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Highflight

there is only one way to operate an aircraft be it corporate or airline, big or small and that is with excellent training from the start and a good set of SOPs, anyone who thinks otherwise is living in the past
But thats all well and good, I'm sure your prospective employees have fine airline flying pedigrees and a fantastic training record etc etc.

As you have a foot in both camps perhaps you can explain how your turboprop guys and ex 744 captains who fancy a change would cope with a Katana coming the other way in an uncontrolled circuit or say a busy little VFR reposition say Southend to Biggin direct.

The only exposure to other close in and dirty traffic (The non TCAS kind) that some of these guys will have ever seen is on the last day of your sim refresher (I assume we have all seen the flying fire truck)

Stumbling from one radar environment to another four times a day whilst on the "rails" of a typical turboprop operators schedule is not particularly challenging.

No doubt all Blink pilots will learn all these skills, I'm sure you would agree that its not something you can do in the sim. But in the meantime where's your Airline safety????? Sometimes you need to see things for the first tiime for yourself.

Perhaps play it "Airline" safe and go to Nice instead of Cannes and wait 3 hours for fuel or Lulsgate instead of Gloucester, Gatwick instead of Southend, Geneva instead of Sion and make the pax taxi the rest of the way.

If my 6 numbers came up and I managed to buy me a 7X I would immediately retire proceed directly to BA's crew room at LHR dig out the crustiest 744 TRE and pay him 200k to fly me to Singapore. Mustangs are Kingair 90's with jet engines, the long winded point I'm trying to make is dont pontificate about airline safety and accuse others of being less safe than you are and then employ round pegs for square holes.

Sincerely wish you all the best with it though, I'm sure it will be a great success, and if its not sell the options on the a/c and pocket the vast amounts of cash.