PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON - 6
Thread: LUTON - 6
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2008, 17:25
Sky Wave

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Two Old Adages

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of the first things I was told in aviation was about "Fuel in the Bowser" and "Runway behind You".

When it isn't me that's paying for the fuel and if I was being paid to be there .. there is no reason why I should ignore those 2 pieces of truth.
Whilst nobody can disagree with the soundness of those two statements you have to accept that this is a business. It is not economically viable to take full tanks on every trip (not to mention the fact that you have the landing weight to consider).

Taking the intersection allows aircraft to depart between smaller gaps in approaching aircraft and can sometimes allow aircraft to depart in front of another aircraft that requires the full length. This eases congestion, saves fuel, allows slots to be met, reduces flight times and increases runway capacity. When the weather is ok and the aircraft is fully serviceable there is no reason not to accept an intersection departure. However if the wind was 260 29G39 then there is a strong possibility of a predictive windsheer warning. Windsheer is one of the things that you will stop for right up to V1 and therefore it's sensible to use full thrust and the full runway length.

I can say that most operators were using the full length yesterday morning when it was very windy. I can't speak for Wizz and I can't recall if I've ever seen them depart from the intersection but it's possible that their SOP's don't allow it or perhaps they are not given performance figures for Alpha & Bravo?

SW