PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heli 'collides with gas rig' 11-Mar-08
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2008, 14:28
SASless

Received 521 Likes on 217 Posts
Indeed you are correct 212man. As I recall the story....the non-handling pilot ultimately got the sack (for other well deserved reasons not related to the incident) and the handling pilot remained the Chief Pilot.

Then there was the young North Sea pilot who was in country to obtain his "command time" who went out on an air test with an engineer....cut down a set of powerlines while low leveling...put the engineer into hospital and wrote off a 212. He found himself transferred to Trinidad to finish his "command time".

I guess the Managing Director in Nigeria at that time had empathy for those who had blade strikes.....as he had a few himself. (I have a lovely photograph of a Bristow Safety Poster...remember the one that showed a cartoonish Wessex with lots of hard hats and papers being ingested....this particular poster had been edited to say "Please don't feed our birds trees!")

But in general....I agree....blade strikes of any kind were considered less than professional. The outcomes had much different endings depending upon one's position on the Totem Pole.