PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CofG and Longitudinal Stability
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2008, 22:38
Timothy

Sub Judice Angel Lovegod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CofG and Longitudinal Stability

May I split my previous thread - keep that on landing technique and start again on Dinga's point about rearward CofG?

My first question regards efficiency. How much difference is it going to make to a draggy beast like the Aztec to operate at the rear limit (let's say for the time being)? Obviously the less negative lift provided by the tailplane the less drag it will create and also the less positive lift and therefore drag from the wings, so I would expect the difference to be marked, or am I tipping at windmills?

Secondly, how alarmist is dinga being about the rear limit, in reality? You guys obviously test aircraft and set a rear limit, but presumably there is a fudge factor to allow for rigging problems, pilot technique, turbulence, icing etc? If all is well, and I am in a position to move things forward if necessary (we are two crew in freighter configuration) surely I can push it a bit?

If you all feel obliged to tut in public, but reckon in private that there is room for manoeuvre perhaps you would PM me.

Thank you.