PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH A320 Rough Landing @ Hamburg
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2008, 22:27
CONF iture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chriss Scott
1) In ground mode, the position of the sidestick(s) is displayed by a white cross on the PFDs.
Sweet and short answer but still ... so true !

Is it just me or ... during a landing run, between the mandatory calls regarding spoilers, reverses, braking, speed, and the overhaul situation awareness, I just don't think or simply don't have the natural resources to go and keep an eye on that tiny white cross ... !?

If you have ... hat off !

But I still stand that such vital information is so much easier to get through a fully prominant and visible connected control wheel.

Nevertheless, the worst part in your anecdote is not that the controls were applied in the wrong direction, but that the PF argued ... ???

Regarding Habsheim, you make interesting comments, in the same time I note some inexactitudes that are more relevant than we may think. I need first to read my documentation and I’ll have some more questions and comments. Maybe we can even start another thread for the subject ...

To go back to HAM, what I can see from the video is something typical from a flying school, not more not less, the proper technique simply not applied in due time for these unforgiving conditions.

And I even wonder (pure speculation !) if the side stick has not been solicited (only in a slightest way) in the wrong direction ?
I also wish we could have the data ...

Originally Posted by Nichibei Aviation
To captains: do not leave your life and that of hundreds of passengers in the hands of a 600 hour F/O in a 30kts/G50kts landing!
The captain probably learned his lesson, the hard way but not the hardest one. Up to this event, he had probably never realized how much his beloved FBW Airbus could reduce the maneuver margin for proper supervision.
His FO will acknowledge: “Nothing like Experience” and Experience needs TIME + PRACTICE

MY OWN PERSONAL view:
- Adverse weather
- Low time PF
- FBW Airbus
- PNF CAPT willing to supervise
These all together are the perfect ingredients for a YouTube glory, but change only one of them and HAM is a non event.

Considering the general trend in the Industry regarding formation, and the accessibility for video recording and sharing, we’ll see only more of these sequences, time will tell if a specific type of equipment is more at stake ... ?