PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH A320 Rough Landing @ Hamburg
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2008, 20:46
gonebutnotforgotten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A 320 cross wind technique

I write as an ex Boeing driver, with just one sim session on the A320 about 20 years ago (actually to evaluate a TCAS display). But I thought I understood (roughly) what the A320 series flight controls were trying to do in pitch and roll. The stick commands roll rate until touchdown, so it cannot be right to describe the procedure during de crab as 'holding some into-wind aileron' . You don't hold into wind aileron with the side stick if you are airborne in an A320. If you apply a steady roll input as you would in a conventional aircraft, will command a steadily increasing roll in an A 320. Maybe that 'holding a little aileron' is just a simple short hand of a subtly different process so perhaps I am being a bit picky, but somehow I don't think so. The post from Lemurian that describes the process as 'bumping' to get the right steady slip must surely be right. My only quibble with the chap who originally wrote it was his introduction that said

Despite rumors, the Airbus uses conventional crosswind landing technique'
I wouldn't describe applying essentially zero roll demand, once the side slip is established, as conventional. The aircraft certainly behaves in a totally conventional manner as Lufthansa has just proved so publicly, but that is a different matter.

From the evidence of the previous 450 odd posts, assuming the Ppruners are a fair cross section, then there is a substantial body of A320 pilots (including the fellow whose hand appears in the video some way back - I have sat jump seat behind other coffee stirrers like him - and all those who regularly hit the roll stops) who really don't know what their flight controls are doing, haven't thoroughly thought through how the machine works, and haven't been taught to do so. I find that rather worrying.