PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Government support to Service personnel - Have your say
Old 12th Mar 2008, 20:40
Sentry Agitator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Government support to Service personnel - Have your say

DHQ - I admire your intentions but we really do not need a costly review THAT WILL TAKE FOREVER AND DELIVER NOTHING and most likely be over budget.

Just keep it simple as follows:
Q - What is wrong with the UK system?
A - Answer = pretty much everything

Q - What can we do to fix the problem?
A - Follow the US example and actually look after your people.

Examples -
  • Transit accom stateside is better than perm accom provided by UK PLC. For example - I was lucky enough to visit a US East Coast Navy station last year and the suite, yes that was suite! I had for a week had a lounge with TV, DVD, Video, free wi-fi, on-suite, bedroom with TV, DVD, Video. A kitchen with hob, microwave and crockery for 3 persons (family focussed), aircon throughout and daily maid service. That was available for all visitors - You can't even get a towel in UK messes??
  • US Vets are admired and cared for long after they have walked off base. They can even use the 'discounted' service facilities with a vets pass (xchanges, commissaries, gas stations). Proud to serve you see not ridiculed like in Pborough.
  • Families get welfare support to visit their families when the serving spouse is away TDY.
  • I think it is free dental and medical for all? but I could be wrong.
  • Schooling and creche' provided on base (at a cost) to allow people to work in the military and have a family life too.
  • Proper recreation facilities - Bk/Golden Arches, Pizza wotsit, Sub, Dunken Donuts etc etc all on stn. Cinemas, bowling alleys and numerous sports pitches. I have never been to a bad Gymn when stateside whereas ours can leave quite a bit to be desired at best. Likewise, the families stateside can use the on base gymn free of charge where my wife can use my station gym but she has to pay an annual fee! it is cheap but come on??
  • Lets not get on to the tax free wages when on ops and the phonecall contact sitch when deployed.
  • Compensation, compensation, compensation - can't say much more
  • Oh and one more thing - There's a bloke on here looking to get sponsorship for a charity cycle ride to raise funds for the Help for Heroes charity which aims to raise cash to build a swimming pool for all of our returning heroes from theatre that have had their lives turned upside down. A commendable gesture but why should we need to be raising funds??? The government should have sorted that as soon as the matter was raised last year.
Just a few issues I rattled off in a couple of minutes and I'm sure I've missed loads more.

Quite simple Mssrs Brown/Browne - Try to follow an example that is 'fit for purpose' and the men you regularly s#@ft from your ivory tower may just put up with the shoddy way you treat them.

Review and improvements - not in my lifetime

SA