PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stopping a light twin on sheet ice
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2008, 15:49
Timothy

Sub Judice Angel Lovegod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The LDA will be an issue, which is why I am thinking this through. I will have about 900m minimum, which is oodles under normal circumstances but which may or may not be an issue if it is literally a skating rink.

The CofG is an interesting dimension. Generally we will want an aft CofG for the cruise for efficiency purposes (there are going to be some very long legs with very extended diversions), so I was thinking of going to the back of the envelope for T/O and landing, then moving stuff backwards in flight in order to be as aft as possible to reduce tailplane drag. Also, the Aztec can be quite determined to drop its nose wheel on landing, with a forward CofG, even with the stick right back. However, I had not considered the effect of the aft CofG on stability on the ground, particularly as there will be no choice of landing direction, so weathercocking becomes an issue. I guess I could hold off as long as possible, then, when I lose authority, push forwards and raise flap to get weight on the nosewheel. It's all a bit complex.