PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH A320 Rough Landing @ Hamburg
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2008, 12:46
Lemurian

Sun worshipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of Yaw / Roll coupling

Coming late in this discussion, I haven't had time to read all the posts, but this is what I've experienced on the 320 family :
From a stable straight flight, pushing - not kicking - the rudder pedal and keeping a pressure on the pedal will cause the aircraft to bank on the applied rudder side...Nullifying the bank with the sidestick will naturally put the aircraft in a (forward ) side-slip and in order to maintain that sideslip, the pilot would need successive applications of lateral stick to prevent the airplane from returning toeards a turn on the rudder side.
Apparently, after a few such applications, it looks as if the flight control system acquires a new "zero , equilibrium point and would continue flying the sideslip.
Another description from a USAirways pilot, E Parks from the sister site "Airbus Drivers.net" :
"Crosswind Landings – Despite rumors, the Airbus uses conventional crosswind landing technique. Two points however; first, as the Airbus uses roll rate for the ailerons the pilot cannot HOLD the sidestick in the crossed control position. The sidestick must be released once the bank angle is established. Think of “bumping” in the needed bank. It is more intuitive than it sounds! Second, the sidestick is as sensitive in the flare as in cruise. Care must be taken to use measured inputs to the sidestick. "

My last comment on the handling technique used on the LH 320 in the video is this :
According to Airbus recommendations, it is quite obvious that the crew elected to land with flaps in CONFIG 3. Fair enough. Problem is that in that configuration, the behaviour of the aircraft in control response is with a faster response, both in pitch (flare is *flatter, shorter *) and in roll (*faster, more incisive* )... The pilot had an airplane that's quite different than he is used to.
My two cents.

Last edited by Lemurian; 12th Mar 2008 at 12:46. Reason: grammar