PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair in the grass at EMA
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2008, 10:07
rubik101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Notwithstanding the issue of 'training' in RYR, which to my mind is as thorough and comprehensive as any other airline I have worked for, my beef is with the SOPs.
For those of you who might be thinking that the full pre-departure briefing is given during taxi, please read my previous post carefully. It is a 'review' of the brief that occurs once we prepare for the Before Take Off Checks. Having said that, it is almost as long as the full brief!
This review is too long, including mention of the Bleeds, N1, speeds, flap setting, trim setting, the SID with any turns, SID stop height, squawk and details of any engine out procedure. This long winded review is a bad check in a bad time frame.
RYR are rightly concerned with preventing rejected take-offs due to 'Configuration Warnings' and believe that this review is the solution. Sadly, it involves head in time at a critical phase and should be abandoned completely, in my view. At the very least, it should be carried out by the FO and need only include the Flap setting, as has been mentioned.
I suggested this change some time ago and was told it was under review. The outcome is a poster in the crew-rooms showing us how to do the Flap check, as described by Captplaystation. Sadly the whole interminable briefing review is still in existence and likely to remain so. Maybe a few more taxiway excursions will focus their collective minds.