PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA and BA talks breakdown
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2008, 12:27
Sir George Cayley

The news that BAA are in talks to sell off its Duty Free business may not at first glance appear germain to this thread, but stick with me for a moment.

Tritely, the world is changing (what's new?) but fighting to protect something against a bigger tide of change could be wasted effort. Look at some other factors. The UK Govt has deregulated price controls at a major airport recently; will that be the last one?

The European Commission now leads on Air Service agreement talks, not the Govt.

Rumour has it Gatwick is being readied by Ferrovail for sale.

Air Quality targets are unreachable around LHR now, let alone with growth.

Yes, I think WW is wrong to move in a divisive way and he will not survive the encounter, but a previous poster's encouragement to BALPA to make all efforts to keep talking is sound. And to give a small bit whilst looking over the horizon towards The Future Size and Shape of the market.

Flight Engineers were the victim of technology. Airbus are developing systems that will continue to put the crew further from direct control and more towards collaborative decision makers with the a/c's computers.

I think in a number of years time we all will look back on the period from the 1980's to the 1st quarter of this C as "Golden" in terms of wealth creation.

So in conclusion, yes stay strong - don't let the b**g*rs grind..etc but think about giving the golden goose a tweeked beak as opposed to killing it.

I've got a broad back but if you could form an orderly queue Gentlemen!

Sir George Cayley