PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADS-B and Terrorism – Not a Red Herring
Old 11th Mar 2008, 07:36
OZBUSDRIVER

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Flying Binghi, all Dick has to do to make a believer of me is just do one successful spoof of at least ten targets at the same time and have them register within TAAATS as legitimate targets. I will be happy to go away and mind my own business.

I too have read all the negative sites found in the US. Until the terrorists get an ability to make and launch very sophisticated missles that have never even been invented. It is one thing to come up with the idea of a missle with a seaker head that will detect and read a unique ADS-B signal and then home in on that signal and an altogether different thing to actually build it. You have got a far better chance as a terrorist to go and buy a Dick Smith scanner and some black market obtained ex-military gear like a stinger or an RPG and a bit of intel when your target is going to be arriving in a safe area.

There is already a problem in the US where industrial spies are keeping tabs on certain corporate aircraft to know when the opposition is on the move and to where. So what if there is another tool to do this. The goal is to get a more affordable system into THIS country! Covering as much territory as possible. The Pilbera will be a good starting point followed by a large swathe of WA followed by replacing the en-route SSRs. Terminal primary radar and SSR will always remain.

I am pretty sure the DoD has a similar wearyness of Google Earth!