PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting Private Pilot License PPL near London
Old 10th Mar 2008, 16:30
HappyFran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On a Modular Course you move to a f(ATPL) by completing a sequence of modules;

PPL, NR, atpl theory, ME/CPL, IR, MCC = f(atpl).

There is some flexabilty but it is basically in that order. You can complete each module at any approved FTO that takes your fancy, and with some time constraints, can start and stop when you like or funds permit.

From an employability point of view it is probably desirable to stick with just a couple of FTO's and not have great time gaps in your training record. I think you have a max 36 months from atpl theory to f(atpl).

On the Integrated course you start from zero, hand over the cheque to your choosen provider and they will lead you through, starting with atpl theory and then the practical stuff and you pop out the end with a f(atpl) BUT not a PPL which may not be important to you, but does mean you are not qualified for recreational flying.

I think the reason you maybe questioning the differences is that the Jetline course run by BCFT is very much a 'sequential modular course' so it runs very similar to an Integrated course. So Yes Very similar but start and stop as you like.

There are a few others that offer similar packages, but equally there are a number of very good FTO's that run excellent modules but are not approved or don't have the facilities to run all the modules and therefore students have to swap around to complete there training.

The majority of FTO' s do not run classroom based training for the atpl but offer there own distance learning packages or may recommend BGS (Bristol Ground School), which has a very good reputation.

In the case of BCFT and Cabair (modular) (and some others) the training is classroom based, which suits some people, myself included, who lack the displine or attension span to work from home
So Yes BCFT is classroom based for atpl theory

Last edited by HappyFran; 10th Mar 2008 at 16:34. Reason: To much rambling