PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 206 BIII Operating Costs in the Uk
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2008, 07:14
cmacltd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 206 B III op costs

"....plus parts when required over the last two years....." And that's the rub, of course. The annual Overall cost of operation will depend upon whereabouts in its maintenance cycle the machine is. If you fly 200 hrs/year there will be some years when normal scheduled maintenance will encompass just a couple of 100hr inspections and a couple of 50hr lubrication checks, some TLC and an Annual. Almost all labour and no parts of any consequence. If the next year's flying puts you into the time-allotted for replacement of hard-lifed parts (say blades) and/or O/H of any of the dynamic components, then you will need the BIG cheque book for that year. The fixed costs, of course, remain - in addition.

On top of this there are some components of the Eurocopter range that have a calendar life imposed irrespective of the number of hours flown. AND for the venerable Allison (now RR) engine, compressor and turbine have cycle limits that must be observed as well. (If you do lots of short trips less than 30mins and rinse the engine at the end of the days flying it's no good budgeting on a mini-turbine cost at 1775 hrs; the 3000 cycle limit is likely to come up first. Same price, but earlier than you had projected)

The singular benefit of the J/R is that for the most part maintenance costs are predictable, and based broadly on flying time. But they will fluctuate from year to year - see para 1 above.As an engineer, if requested, I look at the schedule of components and the hours/cycles/calendar time left to the next removal from service - and, as best can be done, put a figure on that work. If you then divide one by the other at least you get an idea of what must be spent over the period of time you intend to operate the machine. Yes my fee is not insignificant, and no, I cannot be held to those sums since there are other variables that will effect the final total, but it does help to alleviate some of the strenuous conversations that otherwise inevitably ensue. As an ex Chief Engineer I know this only too well!!

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear but it is a fact of life that so often seems to be overlooked