PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Medical at CAA Gatwick
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2000, 14:26
Barney

Talking

VFE,

You want to know how it went..........read on my friend.

I am now aged 26, and for a long time I have wanted to be a commercial pilot. However, since the age of 16, I have been just outside the Class 1 Limits of +/-3 D.

At age 17 I was -3.25 in each eye. I was told then that I would not be able to obtain a Class 1 Medical without having flown 500 hrs on a Class 2.

I then went to Uni etc, and now, 10 years down the line, I still felt that flying was what I wanted to do. I contacted the CAA again, and they said that I should come for a UK Class 2 (only being issued until the end of June 2000). If everything was OK, they would then consider me for a Class 1 after 500 hrs.

So, last tuesday I booked a UK Class 2. Wednesday I went to my optician for an eye test. I was -3.75 in each eye. I faxed a report to the CAA about my eyesight (I had to do this as I wear contact lenses).

Thursday, I left for Gatwick at 6am. Arrived 10am. Medical was at 12.45........did some reading in the library.

I then filled in forms for my Class 2 etc, and went for my ECG. I then went for my eye test. The optician asked why I wanted a Class 2, so I told him. His reply was that although I was outside the limit for Class 1, my prescription had been stable for a number of years, and that I wasn't that far outside. He said he would do a full JAA Class1 eyesight test. After the test he turned to me and said that I was out side +/-3 (I think he got me at -3.5 in both eyes, but that was from a quick sneaky look at his form!), but he was quite happy to recommend me for a Class1 on the fact that:

1. Corrected vision was better than 6/4 in each eye separately with glasses/contact lenses.
2. My prescription had been stable for nearly 10 years.
3. The amount by which I was outside the limit was within the error of measurement. He admitted, that if he tested my eyes tomorrow, he may get something very different.

So, after a chat with his colleagues, he said they would do the rest of the tests for a JAA Class1.

Barring any probs with the ECG, EEG and blood tests, I should have a shiney Class 1 through the post in a couple of weeks.

Those of you in a similar position to what I was..............don't sit there moping, thinking you cannot get a Class 1. I have done for nearly 10 years, when there was no need to! If you are just outside the limit contact the CAA, or even go for the medical. As rob99 said, they are very helpful.

I have heard horror stories and slagging-off of the CAA. I can't thank the folks at Gatwick enough. I went for a Class 2, and now Have a Class 1. I am still a Wannabee, and probably will be for a some time to come. One thing I do know.............I'm now one large step closer to being a Gonnabee!!!

A happy ending (well, of this chapter anyway!)

If anyone wants any more info, you can post it here or email me.

Regards to all...................**** man, ain't life just the tops!!!!!!!!!!

Barney
(not as blind and deaf as he previously thought!!)