PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADS-B and Terrorism – Not a Red Herring
Old 10th Mar 2008, 04:20
Dick Smith

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts
ADS-B and Terrorism – Not a Red Herring

Readers will no doubt remember a while ago I made statements in relation to ADS-B being used by terrorists and also others “spoofing” the system to stop it operating correctly. I made the point that these issues should be addressed before Airservices Australia goes ahead and leads the world on ADS-B.

I have recently seen the following comment on the internationally recognised aviation news resource AVweb, see the link here. Particularly note the comment:

“The Department of Defence is concerned ADS-B might work a little too well. It doesn’t want to advertise all its flights and wants a way to fit in the system without letting everyone know its aircraft are there at times, which, of course is the exact opposite of the main selling point of ADS-B. DoD is also concerned that ADS-B can be hijacked by terrorists or enemies and wants to know what is going to be done to prevent “spoofing” the system.”
Isn’t it interesting how Airservices Australia seems to have gone very quiet on their ADS-B proposal?