PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GS-Mini, Auto-thrust, and Short Runways – Airbus A320/330/340
Old 10th Mar 2008, 02:48
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Norman,

Thank you for what is the best explanation of GS mini I have seen. I have cut and pasted it into my own notes.

My company encourages manual flying and it's written into our ops manual that we should practice it - including manual thrust.

I haven't found the non moving levers a problem at all. I'm one of the few people who likes the system and thinks it's good! When I converted to the aircraft, I was sceptical at first but them programed myself to think of them as a 'thrust rating' switch, much as the THR button worked on the Boeing's MCP but more intuitive as the 'switch' worked like real 'throttles'. I told myself that they needn't actually be there at all. I was pleasantly suprised to find that they do work in 'manual' - and rather well. The only problem I have encountered is that the 321 seems to be programmed with the 320 software and it's response to speed changes is a bit slow as I get the impression it hasn't accounted for the icreased mass. I tend to like to use man thrust in turbulent conditions as I find that I can be pro-active whereas the sytem is reactive - and slow!

PS. I haven't found anyone who can explain that Boeing THR button!

Last edited by Dan Winterland; 10th Mar 2008 at 03:02.