PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sydney’s second airport revealed
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2008, 21:15
Hugh Jarse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Oz3,

Our little soiree to BK occurred prior to the current "security arrangements", and happened as a result of curfew and an unforecast southerly change which pushed us beyond the 20kt tailwind limit for landing permitted on 34L SY.

Without going into too much detail, my phone bill was significantly increased that night because of the taxi drivers refusal to attend the airport. Basically the majority of PAX contacted relatives who came out and picked them up.

We managed to get a bus sent out 3 1/2 hours after arriving at BK. That put the crew and remaining PAX at SY Domestic Terminal 0345 the next day.

Fortunately the Wx was fine that night, because the terminal (old Briefing Office) was locked up and all 39 of us had to stand around outside.

On the face of this single experience, BK appears to have a security image problem if taxis refuse to go there. They must know something I don't, because for the 3 years I worked there (with many late nights) I never witnessed any activity which could even remotely be described as a threat to anyone's safety.