PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - News of rumoured extreme low pressure. 940mb.
Old 9th Mar 2008, 10:47
corsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well it will hit us tonight here on the western coast of Ireland. So I will give you breathless minute by minute reports of the drama and destruction. I'm looking forward to heading down to a point overlooking Galway bay at high tide. It is always a spectacle. It's an even better spectacle from inside a coffee shop on the prom.

It's a beautiful day here so far, mild and sunny, despite all the showers showing up on radar. We are just getting sprinkled occasionally.

The calm before the storm

I do think the British met office and the BBC weather people are overplaying it a bit. The old 'Don't worry there won't be a hurricane' comment is ingrained in the folk memory of the forecasters. So they make sure to build it up every time something more than a zephyr stirs the leaves on the trees.

In contrast the Irish met office are practically laid back about it. This is their latest:

Today
Most of the showers today will be over the western half of the country, with hail, thunder and sleet mixed in. Otherwise the day will be bright and fairly sunny, but rather cold and breezy with highest temperatuers of 7 to 9C.

Tonight
Becoming very wet and very windy this evening and tonight. Lowest temperatures of 4 to 7C.

Tomorrow
Further outbreaks of heavy rain tomorrow and still very windy.
That's it???? Becoming very wet and very windy? It's always like that round here.