PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sydney’s second airport revealed
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2008, 23:15
OpsNormal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P-A-F wrote:
Personally I think if the Gov't is serious they would buy the land to enable 18/36 at Richmond (mind you there would be a crap load of earth works required to level it) and make that the next Sydney Airport, and divert the rail track to make a Richmond Airport rail station. Then move the RAAF to Dubbo (i.e. a better place than Sydney) - better quality locals there . Problem being the Lower North Shore brigade would resign - and resign instantly
I never thought I'd honestly say this: I agree with you P-A-F.... well at least up to the point of moving the RAAF. IMHO there is no need, just keep it a Joint User Facility with the RAAF on the Northern side, and the Civvies on the southern side where the road should be moved from and diverted around near the University/TAFE/Ag College to make room on the southern side for a N/S runway complex, and a decent upgrade of the railway to at least two side by side lines and a ring line to Campbelltown - which by itself has been overdue for 20 years.

The Sydney basin has become a victim of its own slothery in the way it has expanded without massively upgrading its infrastructure, especially in the past 20 years. Badgeries was never going to work due to approaches over houses from every direction. Granted there is some fog from time to time at Richmond, but hey - why not install Australia's first operational Cat III ILS?

OzG3, it was difficult enough when we diverted there one morning when CB got well and truly fogged-in. I can say that even during the day the airport struggles to cope with even a smaller RPT aircraft, let alone what would have happened to Jarse at night.