PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Information
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2008, 21:57
davejb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW,
YES, other aircraft can! but lack of £££ will force us to keep Nimrod
Actually, Ninrod is bloody good at the many roles it performs, and for a significant period of time it performed a wide variety of tasks without AAR capability - sorties in excess of 10 hrs unrefulled have proved quite long enough for most tasks over the decades. I doubt the RAF could do any better than (pipe dream) having a couple of dozen brand new Nimrods handed over as a birthday present at 120's upcoming bash, so 'force us to keep Nimrod' seems rather harsh.

Unfortunately some of the mods to the aircraft haven't been properly thought out...a bit of an understatement, of course. Nobody seems to have looked at how changes to the original design might age or interact with each other.

Good men died as a result, I'll happily attend the public floggings when it's decided who was responsible.

Personally I also think Edsett has done quite a good job of passing details along, for which I'd like to thank him, I think it's unfair to suggest he's an apologist for the RAF. Tucumseh has also provided an insight I didn't previously have, similar thanks to that gent.