PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hunter XL573
Thread: Hunter XL573
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2008, 19:49
BEagle

Received 326 Likes on 115 Posts
8 Jan 1976 was the only day when I flew XL573. At the time, Valley had even more appalling weather than usual. So the Boss of 3 (Hunter) Sqn, 4FTS decided that 13 (Hunter) Refresher Course would all go to Leuchars for the day. I was allocated to fly with him.

I don't recall much of it - the trip there took 1:15 with 0:10 actual IF (at Valley!). We went hi-lo; on the way there some Air Trafficker asked a Nimrod to fly exactly overhead Machrihanish. "That'll give your navigator something to do!", he remarked. "All 3 of them!", quipped the Boss.

LU was very accommodating to us, as I recall. A short break for lunch and then off again for the trip back to Valley - a spot of LL Nav, then up to high level and back for a QGH to PAR and 5 circuits. Total sortie time was 1:15 again, of which 0:20 was IF. That was my FHT; all went fine and 4 days later I said goodbye to Valley and drove down through Wales to Brawdy with all my worldly possessions (and my flying kit) squeezed into my MG Midget with me.

Last edited by BEagle; 20th Mar 2008 at 14:35.