PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA and BA talks breakdown
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2008, 19:24
interpreter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil Another view

If I may can I give you a view of BA from the independent travel agents' standpoint. Almost everybody in the business regard BA as arrogant, selfrighteous, pompous and deserving of lost business. Their attitude towards customers and agents is universally seen to be apalling. Naturally this is relative. Personally I have always found the CC good - pehaps surly sometimes and with some members looking as if they were working on the H P Heracles - and the pilots I know and meet no better or worse than others.

If this strike takes place there will be no sympathy from the general public - there very rarely is for strikers but it will damage the profitability of BA and somebody is going to suffer. Who do you feel has the "whip hand" - Walsh or the BALPA leaders? Walsh has I can assure you. His role permits him to take whatever action is necessary in the interests of the company and if the very impressive ballot has not moved him the strike itself certainly will not. It may just mean a marginal improvement in terms but they will soon be dissipated by planned cost recovery action from the management.

My advice - keep talking. There is ALWAYS a satisfacory compromise BUT I really would strongly advise against the strike. The "glad all over" feeling you may get from seeing a large turn-out will fade when the changes to meet the cost of the strike to the company begin to come home to roost. Good luck but TALK TALK TALK.