PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UnitedX CRJ go-around at uncontrolled airport
Old 8th Mar 2008, 18:54
Gipsy Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Maybe they should start using standard phraseology in America". Iwish I knew how to do those quote-box thingies . .

I recently went as PAX SFO/PHL on the first aircraft I have met which allowed the flightdeck to connect the usual passenger audio to ground communications. Having not flown commercially in the US, I found this fascinating.

I was very impressed by the efficient manner in which a huge volume of traffic was handled by Oakland and others. However, I was a good deal less impressed by the general standard of RT procedures employed.

"Up from seventeen to thirty eight and a half, Yankee123". This was more intelligible than some of the transmissions.

VHF is anything but HiFi and clarity of reception seldom is wonderful which is why one tends to listen for expected phrases and instructions couched in standard terms rather than assimilate every individual word. This arrangement works well enough provided the standard terms and procedures are exclusively employed. Going beyond these, particularly when regional accents and other unfamiliar conditions are factored in, is inviting misunderstanding.

It is rather inconsistent to castigate foreigners for failure to observe international standards whilst permitting this level of laxity in airspace which is full of non-domestic traffic.

This sort of thing might be considered "cool". In my day it was "hip". Not likely to make a lot of difference either way to a Chinaman methinks. And it applies equally to Lee Bob in his CRJ going into Tuscaloosa as it does to some urbane character climbing out of LAX in his Triple Seven.

Last edited by Gipsy Queen; 8th Mar 2008 at 19:05.