PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA and BA talks breakdown
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2008, 17:22
Cavitation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to think that if more people stood up for their rights companies would have to think twice about employment terms and conditions etc. I believed it was that simple! Unfortunately the 70s showed us that people who took this route (striking) won small victories but eventually lost the war to the global market place - steel, ,mining and coal. Less trouble with labour relations and lower costs.

I don't like it anymore than anyone else but the reality is that for everyone here who wants to see better prospects, bonuses, share options, job security for life etc etc - there are literally thousands of others both in this country and around the world who are only too happy to do the job without any of the above guarantees and perks.

If anything we are seeing it happen all over again in the service industry - outsourcing technology jobs, call centres and manufacturing all oversees.

In my own job (Technology project work for banking) I am surrounded by people of virtually every nationality who are all keen and happy just to be working.

The sad fact is that the pilots may on this occasion force BA's hand but make no mistake, as I learned from bitter experience, payback will come.

Companies DO NOT care about people - once you disabuse yourself of this ideal you can start to focus on security for you and your family. Its pretty much all you can do.