PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA and BA talks breakdown
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2008, 13:37
Cavitation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having read this thread and the other regarding the BA/BALPA/OS issue, I find it amazing that BA now faces a strike by it's pilots over OS.

Surely those working in the airline industry know better than ANYONE employed today (in any line of work) that you cannot successfully fight the effects of this type of globalisation? We live in an age of great change in all industries and as much as I hate to admit it, there is simply no way that employees can dictate what a company can and cannot do anymore - those days are pretty much over. Especially when that company has become a by-word for industrial dispute and inconvenience. Competition is a very real threat as much as we would all like to pretend it isn't.

At the very least I would urge those considering industrial action to consider this: Many people will look at you and consider you all to be very lucky indeed - you do a job you love (presumably?) and one for which there is a large list of wannabees waiting to join you. You are well rewarded (always have been) and will doubtless continue to be so. Compared to those losing their jobs in manufacturing or in others non-airline industries your position is - to put it mildly - seen in a different light to how you see it...

Your pain and frustration at your employer is, in your own eyes, justified and very real. But be prepared for others to feel differently and to take their money elsewhere. At the very least, your union should be seeking to minimise the disruption to your customers by ensuring an Easter free of travel chaos.

Background: I have nothing to do with the airline industry (although I am a BAEC Silver so do fly your airline) but I do work for a union (NOT Balpa!!) and I see you being backed into a corner by your own.

My sincere hope is for some sanity to prevail in this dispute. On both sides.