PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enough is Enough
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2008, 12:29
Dan D'air

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enough is Enough

I went to a funeral yesterday, RBL, Flags, UJ on the coffin, lots of old men in blue blazers with many regimental, RAF and even some RN patches on them and very moving it was too. Old Fred had had an amazing life, lived out in an old-fashioned, selfless, completely giving way. I left the church with quite a lump in my throat, chin a-wobble, wet eyes because it was windy etc. etc.
What happened next however, has absolutely changed my view of this country forever and I have had enough.

I was wearing a suit with black tie (G10 at a funeral surely?) and having only just got back from downroute had only had about 15 minutes to shave, shower and get ready. Mme. D'air had done her usual trick of tidying everything off the 'scope and I couldn't find my RBL or old RN tie, so in a flash of inspiration I put last years poppy into the buttonhole on my lapel thinking that it would at the very least be some sign of solidarity and support for this marvellous old soldiers funeral.

Anyway, slightly choked, I went into the nearest newsagents to buy a packet of cigarettes, (I know, I know but special circumstances etc. etc.) and was accused by the Asian newsagent of being racist and taunting him by wearing a poppy.

I was absolutely incensed, especially with the Wittering thing being in the news, to the point that I have had to wait 24 hours to calm down enough to post this but I have had enough. I am going to put the house on the market and leave this Stalinesque hell-hole. What on earth has gone wrong and how did we sleepwalk into it??