PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA and BA talks breakdown
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2008, 12:10
xyzzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shame, though

Well, I've got Easter flights booked with BA and 1500 quid's worth of flat booked at the other end, which won't be covered under travel insurance. I'm perfectly happy for BA staff to strike in support of their Ts and Cs, but in common with a lot of people I can't say that through anything other than gritted teeth. My reading of the various postures from the participants is that Walsh will shut the airline down, cancel the T5 move and sit it out.

All the seniority in the world won't help pilots if as a result BA lose LHR slots in the EU-US Open Skies slot auction (isn't there a provision that airlines applying for slots have to have a history of uninterrupted service), and given the middle class propensity to holiday at Easter it'll have a major on-going impact on business travel (people who have lost money on holidays won't race to book tickets).

It's up to the pilots what to do, and it's a shame that BA, ACAS and BALPA can't reach an agreement. But pilots who believe that `winning' a strike is a guarantee of long-term employment are invited to visit a mining town: you can win the battle, but lose the war.

Good luck with the negotiations. But even speaking as a staunch supporter of labour rights and the rights of trade unions I can't say that 1500 quid sits easily.