PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA and BA talks breakdown
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2008, 09:40
Vino Collapso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is a pity to see proffesional pilots using such phrases as 'scab' so openly on a public forum. It is a stark reminder of the miners strikes of decades ago. There are obviously a few very pro-union posters making a lot of noise and rousing the troops onward to battle.

We all have our own position on this issue be us pilots, managers or customers. Mine as a passenger booked to fly during the peak of the strike threat is that strike action in the UK in the long term has never won anything. In the short term you might win a skirmish but as a result the company gets its cards marked by the public as very union driven and volatile. Watch the business crumble over time.

As for me and the family (accused on the other thread as being a 'manager' but defintely not), well I have just had to pay up for our accomodation in the USA or lose it. So I am out of pocket on that. Then the flights have been paid for on both BA and onward with AA. Will my travel insurance pay up if we can't go? I doubt it somehow. That is equally as real to me as your problems are to you.

(yes I know you are fighting for your future, or so your union reps keep telling you, but guess what? The travelling public doesn't give a damn. If you can convince us that by your actions we will benefit in the future, or at least not be worse off, then perhaps we could be made to understand. A union rep had better get on tv quick and try to get Joe Public on your side. Right now I see it as an internal company fight which the public can in the future avoid and let you all get on with it in the same way you would walk around a drunk in the street and not get involved.)